It's almost move-in day—where you'll make new friends and begin your life-changing experience at Westfield State University. We want to help make your big move to campus simple, so we put together this list of items to bring and not to bring.
What to Bring
- Bed Linens - Extra-long twin size including a bed spread, pillow, mattress cover, blankets/comforters, and a sheets set (Be sure to look for our mailing on the university's Linens Program)
- Decorations - Carpet, memo board, plants, pictures/posters
- Equipment - Computer and surge protector, printer, desk lamp, PDA
- Clothes - Don't bring everything you have all at once; bring things up as you need them and take other things home so you don't have a HUGE packing job waiting at the end of the year
- Desk Supplies - Metal wastebasket, pens, pencils, highlighters, notebooks, paper
- Household Items - Storage systems/shelves, hangers, iron/ironing board, broom/dustpan, laundry detergent, laundry basket, window fan, cleaning supplies
- Snacks - Popcorn, soups, crackers, cookies, chips
- Other Items - Towels/face cloths, toiletries, alarm clock, foot locker, medical/first-aid supplies
- Appliances - These items are permitted in student rooms: Blenders, clocks, coffee makers and irons with automatic shut-off, computers, fans, hair dryers/curlers, air popcorn poppers, radios, razors, mini-refrigerators up to 4 cubic feet (one per resident and bearing the UL seal and operating on up to 2.5 amps), stereos, and televisions. Please use appliances in the intended manner and turn off items when not needed. Use of surge protector strips is strongly recommended.
What NOT to Bring
We're committed to providing a safe residence hall environment. Based on state health and safety and fire requirements for residence halls, we ask you to help us in this area by NOT bringing the following items into any of our residential areas:
- "Hoverboards," self-balancing boards, two-wheeled segways, and similar devices.
- Candles of any kind
- Air conditioners
- External antenna/aerial
- Halogen floor lamps
- Heat lamps/heaters
- Sandwich makers*
- George Foreman grills*
- Toaster ovens*
- Other cooking devices
- Refrigerators over 4 cubic feet
- Large upholstered furniture
- Microwaves (excluding the approved Polarwave units)
Important to Note: Apartment Complex, New Hall, and University Hall residents may have one microwave oven, toaster/toaster oven, and sandwich maker per apartment. All appliances should be operated exclusively on the available kitchen counter space.
Westfield State's Residential Life office is the number one resource for move-in day tips! Visit here to learn more about living on campus.