OWL Talks

Adventure Awaits: Studying Abroad in Costa Rica

Posted by Fiona Mwariama on Dec 29, 2016 1:20:00 PM

As a second semester junior, I have been reflecting quite a bit on my college experience so far. I’ve thought about how truly epic freshman year was. It is sort of like being 5 years old again in an enormous ball pit with a bunch of kids who eventually end up becoming your best friends. If you are like me, and have been mentally checking off a list of things you must do while still in college, you must have considered studying abroad at least once. You may have heard, as I did, that it is an experience of a lifetime, one that you will never forget. What you heard was right.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad, Choosing the right college

Hasta La Proxima, Nicaragua - Studying Abroad

Posted by Samantha Lee on Dec 22, 2016 4:24:00 PM

In January 2016, I embarked on my second journey to Granada, Nicaragua, with the goal of making a positive impact for the students in the village of Nueva Esperanza. Within two short weeks, my class of sixteen Westfield State students would prove to be the most hard-working and caring individuals I have had the privilege of knowing.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad

My First Safari - Studying Abroad in Tanzania

Posted by Helena Rheault on Nov 23, 2016 12:46:49 PM

This past Wednesday was finally our first day in one of the parks looking for wildlife. We’ve been itching to get out of camp and go on a game drive since we got here and it was so worth the wait.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad, biology

More Traveling Lectures!

Posted by Helena Rheault on Nov 8, 2016 1:46:16 PM

Hi all! Here’s a summary of some of my final traveling lectures for the semester! The way the program is structured is that students finish classes and exams by the first week of November, with the rest of the time being dedicated to our directed research projects. I have been quite busy and exhausted turning in my final assignments for my classes such as developing a wildlife habitat management plan from our expedition visit to the wildlife corridor, writing multiple cultural analysis essays, conducting interviews on local climate change, assessing the effectiveness of local government structure, and doing an analysis of animal count data from expedition. Sounds like I’ve been busy right? Hope you enjoy reading about my latest travelling lectures! Soon all my posts will be on directed research!

Read More

Topics: Study abroad

Young and Free in Europe - Studying Abroad

Posted by Shaniya Brown on Nov 8, 2016 1:43:23 PM

Dia duit ó Éirinn ! This was one of the first phrases I heard when I touched down in Ireland. It means “Hello from Ireland”. Saying it is always funny because naturally I have a Boston Accent. Nevertheless wherever I go, and when I use it I am always greeted with a warm welcome. Moving to Ireland with four of my friends from Westfield State was easily on of the best decisions I have ever made. So far my time abroad has been nothing short of a very interesting adventure. Between getting lost my first couple weeks in Dublin, to random train rides just to see a scenic view everything that I have seen so far has been beautiful.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad

A Leap of Faith Brought Me to Ireland - Studying Abroad

Posted by Kiersten Kelly on Nov 8, 2016 1:41:29 PM

My name is Kiersten Kelly and I am a senior at Westfield, and currently, an international student at Dublin Business School in Dublin, Ireland! I am from Charlestown, Massachusetts, which is a small town right in the heart of Boston.  Because I grew up in a large Irish family in a predominately Irish town, being able to visit Ireland has always been the top item on my bucket list.  From all of the pictures I’d seen, I could tell Ireland was going to be absolutely beautiful; but what I quickly learned since I’ve been in here is that pictures do not do this beautiful country justice.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad

Join the conversation!

Snapshots about the Westfield Experience

Straight from the Owls’ Mouths… 

There are so many stories to tell, and no one does it better than our students, faculty, staff and alumni.  Choose a topic or get an overall look at life at Westfield to help you come away with a better understanding of what a great college looks like.

Subscribe to Email Updates

• Westfield survival guide
  • How to choose the right college
  • Westfield survival guide
  • CTA-its-your-life-5b.jpg