OWL Talks

Japanese Culture: Learning About Our Pacific Neighbor

Posted by Jessica Collette on Jan 16, 2017 3:03:00 PM

When I learned that I needed to take an upper-level interdisciplinary Honors seminar in order to graduate as an Honors scholar, I found myself scared. Would the workload be too much? Despite my reluctance, I steeled my nerves and signed up for the course with a Pikachu smiling on the information sheet, Japanese Culture, taught by Professor Brian Chen. I couldn’t be happier that I selected this Honors seminar.

Read More

Topics: Civic engagement

Working with Our Community: Holyoke Early Literacy Initiative

Posted by Jillian Dicken on Dec 27, 2016 2:00:00 PM

My “Writing That Matters” group collaborated with the Holyoke Early Literacy Initiative, or HELI, an organization that works with family, community members, the school system, and activists to improve Holyoke’s early literacy for children from birth to third grade. HELI’s work is important because the city of Holyoke has noticeably low literacy rates. In 2013, 13% of Holyoke’s third grade students scored proficient or advanced on the MCAS, compared to a 57% state average.

Read More

Topics: Working with Our Community, Civic engagement

Working with our Community: Fresh Check Day

Posted by Brooke O'Connor on Dec 23, 2016 10:17:00 AM

For our “Writing that Matters” civic engagement project, my group contributed to Westfield State’s first ever Fresh Check Day, an event held on college campuses around the country to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues, to encourage students to speak up about mental health concerns, and to bring to light the fact that there are 1,100 college student suicides each year. Despite the somber reason for Fresh Check Day, the event provides a lively and fun environment in which students connect with each other, become allies for the mental health community, and work to prevent suicide. Participants visit activity booths, interact and connect with fellow students, and compete for cool prizes.

Read More

Working with Our Community: White Oak High School

Posted by Christian Biseinere on Dec 21, 2016 5:04:00 PM

Civic engagement classes involve students in community outreach and service learning as a primary part of the curriculum. In Professor Catherine Savini’s Honors civic engagement first-year composition course “Writing That Matters,” we chose different community-based writing projects.

Read More

Join the conversation!

Snapshots about the Westfield Experience

Straight from the Owls’ Mouths… 

There are so many stories to tell, and no one does it better than our students, faculty, staff and alumni.  Choose a topic or get an overall look at life at Westfield to help you come away with a better understanding of what a great college looks like.

Subscribe to Email Updates

• Westfield survival guide
  • How to choose the right college
  • Westfield survival guide
  • How to choose the right college