OWL Talks

Westfield's Great Downtown Businesses Offer Much to Students

Posted by Kelly Hart on Feb 9, 2017 11:10:00 AM

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college, Getting the most out of your college experience

Choosing The Right College - Find Your First Choice (Infographic)

Posted by Kelly Hart on Feb 7, 2017 2:13:00 PM

Heading off to college in a couple years? It may seem like you have tons of time to make a decision, but finding your first choice school - choosing the right college for you -  is not a quick process. You really need to begin researching and planning for college during your junior year of high school. We created this helpful timeline to be sure that you plan ahead for what will be the best experience of your life, your college years! 

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college

College 101: A Parent’s Guide To Sending Kids Off To College

Posted by Kelly Hart on Jan 20, 2017 11:11:20 AM

College means change, and not just for students. Parents are in for their own challenges right after the kids graduate from high school. Being prepared is the key to an easy transition for both parents and students when the time comes to send your kid off to college.

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college, Sending your kids to college

What it Means to Me to be a Westfield State Owl

Posted by Nate Barnes on Jan 18, 2017 7:08:00 PM

Let me be the first to tell you that my decision to come play baseball at Westfield State was one of the best decisions I have made. As a senior in high school, I always dreamed ofbeing an athlete in college and playing baseball at a prestigious institution with the hopes of getting looked at to play after college. Oh how small-minded I was at the time! When things fell through at other schools I was looking at, I decided to go to Westfield State in the fall of 2013 to further my education and baseball career. What I did not know at that time was the amount of character I would develop and the long-lasting relationships I would build throughout my tenure here.

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college, Student leadership, Getting the most out of your college experience

Developing Presentation Skills at the Massachusetts Statewide Undergraduate Research Conference

Posted by Woody Woodger on Jan 12, 2017 4:03:00 PM

Imagine a ballroom packed with undergraduate students flanked by their research posters. The room hums as students discuss topics ranging from cellular biology to electoral politics to creative writing. At the Massachusetts Statewide Undergraduate Research Conference (MURC), held each April at UMass, Amherst, Westfield State students joined more than 1000 of their peers from across the commonwealth for a day-long exchange of research and creative work. Of the 48 Westfield State students who participated, many are members of the Honors Program; quite a few were first-year students.

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college, Getting the most out of your college experience, Working with Our Community

Eat Local - Students' Favorite Restaurants in Westfield

Posted by Kelly Hart on Jan 10, 2017 3:17:00 PM

Two Rivers Burrito Company

Locally Sourced, Locally Served
by Brian Aurelio

Since opening in May of 2013 there has been a restaurant in downtown Westfield that has been gaining more and more attention.  Despite being located just a few strides from the downtown green on Elm Street, many people seem to pass by this place without a clue of its existence.  One of the most underappreciated restaurants in all of Westfield can be found at 36 Elm Street.  Two Rivers Burrito Company provides a unique family inspired dining experience that simply cannot be compared to anything else in Westfield.  Nowhere in Westfield will you find a burrito or quesadilla with as fresh and delectable ingredients as Two Rivers.  All of these ingredients, from the jalapenos to the guacamole are locally sourced whenever possible to support other local businesses.  Owned and operated by family and friends from Westfield, Two Rivers looks to restore downtown and the rest of Westfield to the glory it once held.

Read More

Adventure Awaits: Studying Abroad in Costa Rica

Posted by Fiona Mwariama on Dec 29, 2016 1:20:00 PM

As a second semester junior, I have been reflecting quite a bit on my college experience so far. I’ve thought about how truly epic freshman year was. It is sort of like being 5 years old again in an enormous ball pit with a bunch of kids who eventually end up becoming your best friends. If you are like me, and have been mentally checking off a list of things you must do while still in college, you must have considered studying abroad at least once. You may have heard, as I did, that it is an experience of a lifetime, one that you will never forget. What you heard was right.

Read More

Topics: Study abroad, Choosing the right college

Insider tips - Make the most out of transferring to a new school

Posted by Kelly Hart on Dec 21, 2016 7:10:00 PM

Going off to college can mean big changes for many students. But for transfer students, adapting to the changes can seem impossible. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when you’re interested in transferring to a new school and what to remember once you get on a new campus.

Read More

Topics: Transfer students, Paying for college, Choosing the right college

3 things you should keep in mind when choosing your college major

Posted by Kelly Hart on Dec 5, 2016 5:19:10 PM

Remember how you always said you were going to be a firefighter when you grew up? Or maybe it was a doctor, or even a chef? Well, with the right major, you can. Whatever your passion is, there’s the perfect major out there to help you achieve your dreams.
Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college, Choosing your major

Things I Wish I Knew Before I Went to College

Posted by Eileen Shaw on Nov 22, 2016 2:49:30 PM

As a senior, I and many of my friends find ourselves reflecting on all of the experiences we’ve had and lessons we’ve learned in the past four years. Despite all of the important information we’ve taken in that will lead us to our careers after graduation, it’s the life experiences gained and each other that we will cling to after we leave college.

Read More

Topics: Choosing the right college

Join the conversation!

Snapshots about the Westfield Experience

Straight from the Owls’ Mouths… 

There are so many stories to tell, and no one does it better than our students, faculty, staff and alumni.  Choose a topic or get an overall look at life at Westfield to help you come away with a better understanding of what a great college looks like.

Subscribe to Email Updates

• Westfield survival guide
  • How to choose the right college
  • Westfield survival guide
  • CTA-its-your-life-5b.jpg